2012-2013 Season Auditions
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
ISU Stephens Performing Arts Center (Jensen Grand Concert Hall)
Auditions for “section strings” and “wind rotation/sub-list auditions for all sections” will be heard.
Woodwinds, brass and percussion will audition during the afternoon/early evening and strings will audition in the evening.
Please contact the Personnel Manager, Michael Helman via email for information regarding auditions, including repertoire requirements, and to set up an audition time.
String Audition and Placement Materials:
Violin: Majors/1st Violins (All String majors, Ed., BA and Performance)
- Solo of Choice
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 9, Mvt. 3, mm. 42-58(begins and ends on page 11)
- R. STRAUSS: Don Juan, first page
- PROKOFIEV: Romeo and Juliet, Suite No.1 -No.7. “Death of Tybalt”, Number 70 to Number 74
- Solo of Choice
- DVORAK: Slavonic Dances, Op. 46, No. 1, mm. 141-167
(begins and ends on page 2: after 8 bar rest from the third line to seventh line before 8 bar rest)
- SMETANA: Vltava (The Moldau), mm. 55 – 79(begins on page 2)
- Mozart, Symphony No. 41 “Jupiter”, 1st Movement, Allegro vivace,
m. 123 (3rd m.after double bar) to downbeat, Forte, m. 171
- Rachmaninoff, Piano Concerto No.3, 1st Movement, Allegro ma non tanto,
m. 19 (through viola soli, Piu vivo, & Allegro) to m. 77, Cadenza.
- 2nd Movement, Intermezzo, Adagio
m. 93 through m. 116, top part.
- Mendelssohn Scottish Symphony, first movement
measures 99 through 124 (rehearsal B to C) and/or second movement,
measures 334 through 370 (I to K).
Orchestral Excerpts (all excerpts from Violin 1, outside divisi where applicable)
Orchestral Excerpts (all excerpts from Violin 2, outside divisi where applicable)
Wind Audition Materials:
- ISCS Clarinet Audition Excerpts-Fall2012
- ISCS BassClarinet Audition Excerpts-Fall2012
- 2012 Flute Audition
- Mvt. II Intermezzo Beginning to measure 24; 7 measures after 34 to 8 measures after 35
- Mvt. III Finale: pickup into 4th measure after measure 53 to measure 53
Brass Audition Materials:
- Exposition of Mozart horn concerto [2, 3, or 4]
- Shostakovich 5: rehearsal 17 through one bar after rehearsal 21 [1st or 3rd horn]
- Strauss ‘Don Juan’: [1st horn, 20 after rehearsal D through 11 after E]
- Mozart – Requiem, Tuba Mirum (2nd trb)
- Berlioz – Hungarian March (1st or 3rd), reh. mark 17 to end
- Wagner – The Valkyrie (1st or 3rd), reh. mark 2 to 7
- Rossini – La Gazza Ladra (1st or 3rd), m 115-139, 276-291, I to J
- Strauss – Till Eulenspiegel‘s (1st or 3rd), reh 19-20, 23-26, 35-38
- Two contrasting excerpts from a solo for your instrument such as the David Concertino, Guilmant Morceau Symphonique, or Hindenmith Sonata
Percussion Audition Materials:
For more information contact:
ISCS Personnel Manager